Thursday, September 11, 2008

Spinach, potato and tomato curry with basmati rice

I am getting quite good at curries. (I think!) I have only recently started to cook Indian dishes and I really enjoy it. This one is based on another recipe found in A vegan taste of India, as mentioned recently in my potato madras recipe. But I have added some single cream I had left from the linguine sauce cooked the night before. And changed half of the recommended spices which I do not have on my spice racks! So, it's nothing like it should have been, but we enjoyed it all the more!

Serves 4:

By the way, it's only 2 of us, but I always cook for 4, then we have yummy home-made food to take to work for lunch the following day ;-)

1 TBSP groundnut oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 TBSP cumin seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp nutmeg
1 bunch of spinach, shredded
4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
500g new potatoes, diced and boiled for 10 minutes
80ml single cream

300g basmati rice

1. Heat the oil and fry the onion and chilli for 4 minutes. Add the spices and cook for a further 1 min, making sure the spices do not burn.

2. Add the spinach, stir well and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, potatoes and cream, stir well and cook for another 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, cook the basmati rice according to packet instructions (usually 10-12 minutes).

4. Spoon the vegetable curry into serving plates and top with basmati rice. Serve hot!

No comments: