Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Purple sprouting broccoli

Finally, our purple sprouting broccoli is ready to be consumed! We sowed it in March last year and were getting pretty desperate to:

1) eat it
2) get the space ready to prepare the vegetable patch for this year's crop


One thing is sure is that the taste is DIVINE. It is unbelievable how tasty and good it is. For a start, I ecould smell the broccoli whilst picking and cooking it. Then the cooking water was bright green, as if grass juice, which probably means that there are millions more nutrients and goodness in these than the ones we buy from the greengrocer.


I really recommend growing purple sprouting broccoli. It sure takes a lot of space (over 1 m2 per plant) and it does take up your space for at least a year, but it is well worth it if you have the space. We will be growing them again this year for sure!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great ! Congratulations ! I guess it would not be possible for me to grow some on my balcony, would it ?
Annie

russ said...

hi!
Growing that broccoli sounds like a great plan, especially as it seems to be one of the most expensive things you can buy from supermarkets - asparagus would be another good one. I'm on the lookout for a new place with a big enough garden to grow my own too!

re. Muffin - the recipe uses the cooked grain - drop me a mail at: threeheadedalias[at]googlemail[dot]com and I'll see what I can do :)

chelsea said...

Wow broccoli! I love to eat broccoli.

Congratulations!

Ipe Decking | Dallas Garage Doors

rose... (~_^) said...

wow.. very nice blog.. follow me lps