Thursday, August 02, 2007

Film review

We have seen a number of good movies lately. Among them, I recommend:

Mon Meilleur Ami

This is the story of a man who think he can buy everything, who think he is happy, until somebody makes him realise how lonely he is.
I'm a bit of a fan of Daniel Auteuil: La Fille sur le Pont, Le placard, Ma Vie est un Enfer...

Goodbye Bafana
This was extremely difficult to watch at times. Let's put aside the artistic value, which I will not pretend I can judge, I thought the movie was thought-provoking and I would like to learn more about South-Africa during the Apartheid regime (shall I write it with a capital A???).

La Môme
This movie tells the story of the life of Edith Piaf, the famour French singer. It is beautiful and very emotional. I have just read the following critique of the movie on the IMDB. The beginning of the comment is a bit harsh I think, but I did not no much about Edith Piaf before I saw the movie. However I agree with the following statement made by that same critique:

"The movie also assumes previous knowledge of Edith Piaf's life, since it leaves so much unsaid. For instance, on her deathbed, Piaf mentions her husband Theo, but that's the only reference to him in the movie. Worse, the movie skips from 1940 to 1947—missing the World War II years when Piaf was in her prime. And considering "La Vie en Rose" presents Edith as a French folk heroine (she is guided by Saint Therese and discovers her vocal talent singing "La Marseillaise"), it's strange to omit the heroic work she did for the Resistance during this time. Instead, the movie finds its greatest emotional resonance in a love affair Piaf had with boxer Marcel Cerdan (Jean-Pierre Martins) in the late '40s. You can tell that this relationship is doomed from the start—the tension between Edith's wholehearted faith in love, and the way that destiny seems to be set against her, is quite affecting."

No Man's Land
This movie shows the absurdity of war, of any war, of all wars. You must see this movie and show it around you.

No comments: