Sunday, May 04, 2008

Race for Life





I have enrolled in a local Race for Life event recently with women from work. Although I cycle and walk a lot, I don't run (except to catch trains/planes) so I wanted to test myself and see how easily (if at all) I could run the required 5 km.

So I went out this morning wearing my vintage trainers (bought in 1995 but still going) and holding a bottle of water (it was almost 20C), and I started running. I took the way I go to work because I know the way and I know the distances. I ran and ran and ran... not very fast admittedly, but still, I ran an amazing 10 miles (16 km)! Given that this was a first attempt at running, except for a 5 mile jog in January, I think it is quite impressive. The last mile was getting difficult, especially as it is slightly uphill. I did this in about 1h30. I am not sure as I was not carrying any watch. So, quite slow, but I did it!

I did loads of stretching afterwards, so with any luck I won't be achy.

So, I think I'll be alright for the 5 km. Also, I don't think my colleagues are eager to actually "race". I expect a stroll, at best a walk!

Maybe I'll take on running after this morning, who knows? If so, I might try to run the Two Castles Run next year. I will be coming back from a week's work in Amsterdam just before this year's race, so probably not fit for a 10km run!

No comments: