Sunday, June 01, 2008

Oscar et la Dame Rose

I have read this very short book this afternoon: Oscar et la Dame Rose (Oscar and the Lady in Pink) by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt. Amazing story. Thought-provoking. This book is part of the "Cycle de l'Invisible" (Cycle of the Invisible), comprising three stories, each dedicated to a different religion. Oscar et la Dame Rose talks about Christianity through the eyes of a terminally ill child. I have already read Monsieur Ibrahim and the Flowers of the Coran, which as suggested in the title, is about some aspects of Islam. The third book is entitled Milarepa and talks about Buddhism.

You should not be put off by the fact that Oscar and the Lady in Pink is told by a terminally ill chil. The story is full of humour and not all that sad.

I am looking forward to read Milarepa, but before that, I will be packing Two Caravan by Marina Lewycka in my travelling bag.

No comments: