Friday, November 10, 2006

Life Aquatic and Cousteau

In view of Seu Jorge's concert next Saturday, we have been watching Life Aquatic.


It is a very... different kind of movie. I felt really angry at their portrait of Commandant Cousteau. You see, as a child, Cousteau's ocean life documentaries were one of the few times when the TV was turned on and I loved them. Cousteau was the first to get the general public to know about the sea. I remember seeing La Calypso and the crew on the screen and dreaming of wild spaces and sea creatures. My granddad has a collection of Cousteau's Sealife Encyclopaedia and one of the first things I would do when visiting was to grab one of them and turning the pages. (mostly looking at the pictures I must admit!)


After watching the movie, I read a bit about Cousteau and his life. He was not the kindest man ever and there are some controversial reports about his life, but he did achieve a lot to raise the sealife awareness.


This somehow killed the myth, but I still believe he was a great man.

To Jacques-Yves Cousteau.

No comments: