Sunday, July 01, 2007

Buckwheat and vegetables

I knew the taste of buckwheat from buckwheat flour (see galettes), but had never actually eaten the grain whole. I was amazed by its shape: a kind of tetrahedron, quite unusual for a grain I thought! So, it tastes just like buckwheat flour but has a texture similar to that of bulghur or whole wheat.

So I wanted to try out of pure curiosity and I will use it again in the future because it is really nice. Another advantage on rice for instance is that it cooks in just over 5 minutes, thus saving energy.


This recipe serves 4 people:

125g buckwheat
1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow peppers, diced
1 courgette, sliced
10 baby sweetcorn cobs, sliced
herbs of your choice
unsalted cashew nuts

1. Boil the buckwheat for 5-6 minutes until tender
2. Fry the veg in olive oil, add the herbs of your choice
3. Roast the cashews under the grill and pre-heat the plates at the same time.
4. Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments: