Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Movies

There are two movies we have seen recently which are worth mentioning: The Departed and Das Leben der Anderen. Both are purely genius, but in very different ways.

Although I usually don't like violent movies, The Departed is very well done and really hooked me. It took us two attempts to watch it thought, it was too much in one go (151 min), especially coming back from Glastonbury. To tell you the truth, I think it is the first movie by Martin Scorsese that I see. I might have seen Gangs of New York, but I don't remember, and although a 'classic' I have not to this date seen Taxi Driver.

Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others) is such a beautiful movie. So human. I thought it would show things in black and white: honest citizens vs. nasty Stasi spies and officials. There is so much more to it. It is brilliant and I really, really recommend it.

No comments: