Saturday, November 03, 2007

Creamy stuffed mushrooms

loads of steam in the kitchen then, not a great photo...

These were nice, but I think I preferred the last recipe I used for stuffed mushrooms, which I shall make again and post soon. Although I like mushrooms, I am no big fan of strong wild 'forest' type mushrooms which I was recommended to use here. Next time I make this recipe, I will use standard fresh mushrooms (chestnut mushrooms maybe?) instead of rehydrated dried wild ones.

Ingredients


25g dried wild mushrooms / 40g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
225g floury potatoes, diced
2 TBSP mixed chopped nuts (optional but makes the mixture crunchy!)
4 TBSP double cream
2 TBSP butter, melted
black pepper
8 large open-cap mushrooms
25g grated cheddar
150ml vegetable stock

1. Place the dried mushrooms in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak for 20 minutes. Chop finely. (skip this step if using fresh mushrooms)

2. Cook the potatoes for 10 minutes, drain well and mash. Add the chopped mushrroms and nuts. Add the melted butter & cream and season to taste. Optional: add fresh parsley.

3. Remove the stalks from the open-cap mushrooms, chop the stalks and stir them into the potato mixture. Arrange the open-cap mushrooms into a shallow oven-proof dish. Spoon the mixture into the open-cap mushrooms and sprinkle the grated cheese over the top.

4. Pour the vegetable stock into the dish, around the open-cap mushrooms.

5. Place in a preheated oven (200 degrees) for 20-25 minutes until golden.

6. Serve as a side dish or with green vegetables.


PS: please note I have written most of this recipe with my left hand only as Chatouille the cat is lying half-way between my lap and the laptop, taking over 80% of the mousepad... She is a bit scared of the crazy Guy Fawkes' Night fireworks going on outside. Poor Chatouille.

No comments: