Sunday, January 13, 2008

this weekend

We did not get to do much this weekend. Despite the sunny (but cold!) weather on Saturday, we did not go for a ride. Trave is still waiting for his bike to be repaired. He waited so long to replace the brake pads that the brakes have damaged the wheel rims and he needs whole brand new wheels, front and rear.

Our garden shed is being repaired so I bought a barrel bolt so that we can lock the door in the future. I am so looking forward to being able to close the door without having to move a 4 square feet concrete slab mornings and evenings to get my bicycle out, killing my fingers and back in the process.

When we went to France to visit my parents at Christmas, the Eurostar was late which means we had to run as fast as we possibly could with our bags full of presents between Gare du Nord and Gare Montparnasse. We had exactly 30 minutes between getting out of the first train to catch the other one. Everyone who has travelled through these stations know how tight it is to make it. We ran, and ran, and ran... at Montparnasse, none of the "moving walkways" were working... but WE MADE IT!!! We got on the train a few minutes before it left... and coughed our lungs out for the next 30 minutes. I don't know if we were unfit or if it was just the Metro unhealthy air, but it hurt.

So, I decided I should start running, as well as cycling, which I did today, for about an hour. Only 5 miles / 8 km but it is not bad for a first time after at least 5 years of no running at all.

Finally, we went to see THE SINGER at the Royal Cinema this afternoon. Quite a good movie, especially if you know a little about French pop music of the 60s and 70s. I like going to the Spa Centre for movies. First, it costs only half of what multiplex cinemas charge, and second, there are very few people on Sunday afternoon and it feels like going to a private projection! I think it is run by volunteers and funded by the council, or it would not be financially viable. We saw Brick Lane there last Sunday, and planning to go and see in the following weeks Youth without Youth and The Kite Runner.

Back to work tomorrow: I am having my training as a site dumper operator. The weather is going to be windy and wet, perfect condition to learn how to drive in a muddy building site!

No comments: