Sunday, January 21, 2007

Yesterday's board games

We decided to remove the dust-covered sets of draughts and chess and have a game or two. I knew from the start that was a mistake. I know that Trave is so much better than me.

And I was VERY confused to be reminded that the draughts board was the same as the chess board. As far as I was concerned, a draughts board ought to be wider. As the game went, we kept argueing about the rules. So we looked it up on this fantastic tool that the WWW is, to discover that once again, the Brits do everything differently from the rest of the world. (is this why I am in love with one of them?) There are English Draughts rules on one side (board is 8x8) and International Draughts rules on the other (10x10 board), the latter being the ones I know. A few variances exist, my favourite would be Lasca, because I like the idea of mixing Jenga with Draughts. So, mystery solved. None of us was cheating but we knew different rules. Needless to say that Trave won easily. ("Fingerz in ze noze" as the French say when they achieve something without much effort)

Then came a game of chess... no comment... it did not last long enough to comment upon.


We finished with a game of Scrabble. By then half of the bottle of wine had gone. Maybe this is the reason why I WON? Yes, I won!!! Despite whining everytime Trave had a tripple count word (he gets them EVERYTIME, seriously) I finally found my way through to victory, hey hey!!! 279 for me and 271 for him. Sweet victory...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why I even noticed, but the first word on the board, the one going through the original star, should have been challenged, I think. My dictionary shows no "mit" or "mits." Maybe that was the wine talking, or it's a British thing. Nevertheless, congratulations on the win, and on the good scores on your exams (or were they papers?).

green clementine said...

Well spotted!
That was Trave's word, but I won so I forgive him. He meant "mitts". So he says. I had to fight to get "wifi", but we found it spellt that way in a dictionnary :)

TMAs are papers. The final proper exam will take place at the end of October.