Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cabbage gratin

I looked everywhere for my cabbage gratin recipe which I had scribbled on a piece of paper before I started this blog, but eventually I had to face reality: I had lost my cabbage bake recipe, which I had not made for over a year... So I had to make another one up!

It is a very tasty bake/gratin and I bet you can convert pretty much any non-cabbage eater into appreciating this vegetable.

Serves 2 - 3:

1 green/spring cabbage, thinly shredded
2 leeks, sliced or chopped
1 sprig rosemary, chopped
1 TBSP olive oil

50g butter
30g plain flour
400ml milk
150g Cheddar, grated
40g Parmesan, grated
dried bread crumbs

1. Boil the cabbage for 3-5 min. Drain well.

2. Meanwhile, fry the leeks in the olive oil for 3-5 minutes too. Add the rosemary, then the cabbage and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes and arrange into a greased ovenproof deep dish (soufflé type or casserole)

3. To make the sauce, melt the butter, add the flour and whisk well. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the milk. Bring to the boil until it thickens. (if it does not thicken as you wish, add a tablespoon of cornflour and that should do the trick!)

4. Sprinkle the cabbage and leek mixture with the Cheddar. Pour over the sauce, then sprinkle with Parmesan and bread crumbs.

5. Cook in a 180C pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Serve immediately with nice crusty bread.

No comments: