Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Nutty fudge

We went mountain biking for the very first time on Sunday, and as I assume we would need some extra energy, I made delicious biscuits and fudge. Both are really easy to make and the fudge requires no cooking at all! They were very popular with everyone.

Mountain biking was new to us and was really good fun. I found it a bit tricky with the SPDs pedals so next time I rent a bike from them I may ask for standard ones so I can jump off the bike when I'm in difficulty. I had to dismount the bike 3 times because the obstacles were too difficult for me. I wish we had done the trail a second time, so that I could try the more technical corners again. We will definitely go there again.

Unfortunately for Trave, he sprained his ankle :(


Difficulty level: 5/5: the really tough bit is WAITING FOR THE FUDGE TO CHILL!!!

Here is the fudge recipe: (not very healthy!)

250g dark cooking chocolate
25g butter
4 TBSP evaporated milk
450g icing sugar, sieved (eeeek, that's a lot of sugar...!)
50g nuts, roughly chopped (I used hazelnuts and pecan nuts)
50g sultanas

1. Grease a 20cm square tin (or use one of these fancy no-need-to-grease silicone magic dishes, which look amazing)

2. Break the chocolate into pieces and cook them bain-marie in a large bowl with the butter and evaporated milk and stir until well combined.

3. Remove the bowl from the heat and gradually beat in the sugar. Stir the nuts and sultanas into the mixture.

4. Press the fudge into the prepared tin and chill for several hours.

5. Tip the fudge out onto a chopping board and cut into squares. Lick the chopping board (or give it to your husband/boyfriend to lick). Keep the fudge chilled.

No comments: