Sunday, March 11, 2007

Hot Fuzz

We went to the cinema and watched Hot Fuzz yesterday night. A British comedy starring Simon Pegg and with other actors from the Spaced series (I love the series!). The movie is brilliant! It is hilarious but at the same time has enough suspence to hook you to the story. It tells the story of Nicholas Angel, a very successful MET police officer, who is transferred to the countryside where obviously things are a bit different from what they are in central London!


The movie was great, but I found every minute beforehand very unpleasant. There are probably may reasons for that:

1. We do not go to this cinema very often so I had forgotten the smell of popcorn.

2. I had forgotten the price of a cinema ticket (£6.25/person, you can buy a DVD for that price!)

3. Maybe it struck me because we don't have TV, and it is also certainly due to the fact that it was 8.30pm so the cinema management think they will have only mature audiences (although the film was rated 12a), but 80% of the ads before the movies were trying to sell alcohol, or promoting sex, or promoting alcohol using sex references, or selling something completely unrelated to any of them using alcohol and/or sex references!!! Don't get me wrong, I am not a Puritan or anything, but when all the papers are appalled at Britain's worst rate in almost everything a society can produce for their children according to a recent UNICEF report (worst at young age smoking, drinking, teenage pregnancy, illiteracy, earliest to leave school, etc...) I jsut could not believe it...

And then, although we were coming to see a comedy, all the film previews were of thrillers, horror films, etc...


Am I out of touch with society altogether??????? Am I living in the past pretending that things are OK??? Am I simply making too much of a fuss about something which is the normal way for society to evolve and I will have to adapt???

I don't know. Maybe I should not worry too much about all this.

I did enjoy the movie so that's the main thing, isn't it?

1 comment:

Pascaline said...

Hi, I recommand you "The History Boys", British movie, I found it Brilliant !!!!!
Pascaline