Friday, December 01, 2006

Another long-term project

I have started it!

I have started reading "The Times' complete history of the world". I have been dreaming of such a book for many years and finally came across it last year. It went out of print so I had to wait and I bought a copy last month. It is an amazing book which does exactly what it says on the cover, through:

- chronological lines per continent + one for technology and culture events
- an outstanding amount of maps
- text

I also like the cover of the book: modern skyline of buildings on the top which reflection in a mirror/water unveils Stonehenge. Very good I think.

What is really good about it is that it does not tell you history from a European point of view. Or at least trying not to. It is about the development of each part of the world before they came in contact with others. I loved history at school but have always been frustrated not to have learned about early tribes/states/empires in Africa, Asia, America, etc...

I expect a lot from this book, I hope not to be too disappointed. For your information, I have now reached the Neanthertal era!

No comments: