Saturday, December 23, 2006

Books and latest movie

I have now started to read The Best of A. J. Liebling of the New Yorker as recommended to me by Goedi. Good recommendation. I am enjoying it.

And as it is an old book (removed especially for me from the archive of the local library) it smells of old books and I LOVE IT. It reminds me of when I was a child: most books I read used to belongs to my mother and even possibly my grandmother before her, who knows? I like this smell: a bit of dampness, a hint of sweat and the dinstinct feeling of old, thick pages which have been turned thousands of times before me.

Another important fact about this book:
There was no electronic registration at the time in libraries when this book was still on loan, so there is a piece of cardboard paper between the front cover and the first page, with return dates being stamped on it. The last date on the card is 18.08.1971, which is Trave's birthdate! How odd is this?


On the cinema side of things, we have watched Swimming Pool some time ago. It is a really odd movie. Similar sort of atmosphere as in Lemming, but lighter, maybe due to the fact that the setting is a magnificent house with a swimming pool in the Provence! Quite erotic and thrilling. Beautiful atmosphere.

No comments: