Saturday, December 30, 2006

Cherry Coke all around from their own correspondents

"From our own correspondents" is one of my favourite radio programmes. It tells you stories from around the world which you would not hear/read about in mainstream programmes/articles.

A recent programme describe the French etiquette at dinner parties. Some were true, but I am sceptical about others, such as "Never compliment the cook" or "Never say 'Bon Appetit'" as it is allegedly considered very rude. Does this mean that I have been ignoring the social conventions in my own country during the 20 years I was living there???? I will give my opinion on any other subject from the article you may want me to clarify.

Still on the subject of food, an interesting article/broadcast called "Cherry Coke all around" raised my interest. It comforted some prejudices that Europeans have about Americans, but I am determined not to believe all of it. I am sure some Americans can make the difference between a proper tomato and some chemicallly-grown red tomato-shaped stuff.

But oh dear, if I had the money the people in the article seem to have, I would refuse to eat that stuff and get some real food, or probably even grow some of it myself!

No comments: