Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Cycling Day 3 - Corston (West of Bath) to Blackford - 26 miles

We left late (again) on a very very hot day, cycling through the Mendip Hills under the glorious but nonetheless roasting sunshine, despite the waterproof index 50+ suncream. Feeling a bit weak, we stopped at the Travellers Rest in Pensford. We found the name very inspiring and so appropriate! At that point I think I realised I had a bit of a sunstroke so we stayed longer than planned. After I recovered and laid a damp towel between my head and my helmet, off we went again, passed the Somerset border (hurrahhhhh!!!) and the impressive Chew Valley Lake and finally reached Splott Farm. The farm/campsite is administratively located in Blackford but is actually closer to Mark, halfway between Cheddar and Burnham-on-Sea.

I really enjoyed this campsite, if only for the people running the place and staying there. For instance, on the first evening we felt too lazy to cook for ourselves so after a chat with Colin, one of the guys who lives there during the season, we decided to go and have a meal in the White Horse Inn. It was close to 21:00 when we headed off, walking, when Colin miraculously appeared on the side of the road and drove us to the pub, which we reached at 20:53, just on time to order food! We have suspicions that he made the journey just for us.

THANK YOU COLIN!

No comments: