Thursday, August 10, 2006

Empire of the Ants


I have just finished reading Empire of the Ants (Les Fourmis) by Bernard Werber. It is absolutely fascinating. This book is a crossing between horror sci-fi, philosophical tale and a biology lesson, if this makes sense as a description!

This is the story of a scientist who dedicates his entire life to the study of ants. Or maybe it is the story of the social structure of the ant world and how it interacts with the human race.

I never thought I would like reading about insects but they are the real heros in this story. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. I have read the 2 first books of the "GOD" trilogy (third coming up in 2007) and was seduced by the style and the ideas behind it. Unfortunately it has not been translated so I cannot share the experience with people here. In the ANTS series, only the first book has been translated :(


There is a moment in the Empire of the Ants which describes the nuptial flights of the queens-to-be and the following day (last Saturday) there were hundreds of ants taking off in our garden!!! This a very weird thing to observe after reading the book I tell you! So I took a few pictures but my camera is not powerful enough for that sort of shot. You can only see black dots which are supposed to be queens-to-be ants. I hope they have colonised the neighbours' garden, not ours ;-)

No comments: