Friday, September 29, 2006

Gougere - Recipe for Goedi

This is a special post for Goedi who asked me for some gougere recipe. Incidentally, I had no idea of what a gougere was until last year where I found and tried the two following recipes. Click here for picture.

For the gougere itself (the pastry type is called "Pate a choux" in French) you will need:

150g plain flour
125g butter
300ml water
4 eggs, beaten
90g grated Gruyere or Emmental (Gruyere is much tastier)
1 TBSP milk
salt & pepper

Put the butter and water in a saucepan and heat until the butter has melted. Bring to the boil, tip in the flour all at once. Beat until the mixture becomes thick. Remove from the heat and continue to beat until the mixture is glossy and comes away from the sides of the saucepan.

Gradually beat in the eggs, and stir in 60g of the cheese. Season with salt & pepper.

Arrange the mixture in the shape of a crown on a baking tray or a big round ovenproof dish. Brush with milk and sprinkle the remaining cheese.

Bake in a hot preheated oven (200-220 degrees Celcius) for 30 minutes until golden and crisp with the filling in the centre of the crown. (see below)


Transfer onto a warm serving dish.

Filling 1: Mushroom and walnut

2 TBSP olive oil
1 chopped onion
225g sliced chestnut mushroom (tastier than ordinary mushrooms)
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
1 TBSP plain flour
150ml veg stock
85g chopped walnuts
2 TBSP chopped parsley

fry the onion with the oil, then add the mushrooms and garlic. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then gradually stir in the stock. Bring to the boil and cook until thickened. Add 3/4 walnuts and the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

Spoon the mixture in the middle of the gougere crown and sprinkle with the remaining walnuts. Bake as above.

Filling 2: Green vegetables

2 TBSP butter
2 TSP olive oil
2 leeks, shredded
225g green cabbage, finely shredded
125g beansprouts
1/2 TSP grated lime rind
1 TBSP lime juice
lime slices (to garnish)

Fry the leeks & cabbage with the butter and oil for 2 minutes. add the beansprouts, lime rind and juice and stir-fry for 1 minute. Season to taste.

Spoon in the centre of the crown and proceed as above.


------------------------------

I have a preference for the mushroom one, as I find the cabbage and lime combination slightly bitter, but you might think otherwise? I am sure there are many recipes out there but I have tried only these two!

I think it is worth mentioning that the "pate a choux" is what is used to make chocolate eclair, except with no cheese, and no salt & pepper. The filling of a chocolate eclair would be a "creme patissiere" and the topping would be a simple chocolate icing. That is, for a proper French chocolate eclair. English chocolate eclairs have whipped cream inside instead of the chocolate creme patissiere. How outrageous!

Maybe I should actually try to make some one day.

3 comments:

Goedi said...

Well, thank you so much. I'll get to work on it soon. It's cool enough here now for me to start using the oven again. Mmmm.
One thing your blog doesn't always answer: How many people does this recipe serve? And if there are leftovers, what do you do with those?
Eclairs sound like a good idea, too. British or French. Are French Eclairs different in different regions?
So many questions...

green clementine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
green clementine said...

This recipe would feed, say:

4 continental Europeans or
3 Brits or
2 Americans

;-)

Sorry, this is one of the prejudices that we have on America! But I must say that I met a guy from Ohio during my stay in Frankfurt and he said that every time he visits Europe, he looses on average 10 lbs within one or two weeks, due to smaller healthier portions and walking!

I have not been to the US yet, so I am trying to forget any prejudice I may have until I see things with my own eyes, but I could not help it, sorry!

I usually reheat the leftovers the next day in the oven, covering the dish with alufoil so that it doesn't burn. I am microwavophobic so we don't have one, although I admit it can be useful to heat soups and things like that.

And finally: I would not know about French eclairs being the same all over the country or if there are regional versions. I would say they are all the same unless somebody can prove otherwise!