Saturday, September 30, 2006

Books

Trave is out tonight for a most traditional English evening: BEER & CURRY!

I have studied for a bit, then read for a while and decided to add a book section on this blog. I am currently reading "Erzaehler der Nacht" by Rafik Schami. I have read it before during my first stay in Germany in summer 2000, in Waiblingen, near Stuttgart. I really enjoy reading it. It seems to be published as "Damascus Nights" in English, according to Wikipedia. I imagine it would remind people of the Arabian Nights, which I have not read yet so I cannot really judge. It is the story of a coachman who is famous across the Damascus region for the wonderful stories he can tell. One day, he is struck dumm by a wizard and his friends have to find a way to get his voice back.

I noted this quotation from the greengrocer in the book: "Fruechte isst man zuerst mit den Augen, dann mit der Nase und an letzeter Stelle mit dem Mund."

"Fruits are to be eaten first with the eyes, then with the nose and finally with the mouth."

Has anyone of you heard of BOOKCROSSING? I heard about it for the first time about a year ago, then forgot about it. I just went onto their website and realised that it is alive even in rural England towns and villages! One book has been read and passed on by over 200 people.

I like the concept of it. I shall think about releasing one in the wild some day!

I should go back to my studies. It is all very interesting but I find it difficult to concentrate after a long week at work... I want some chocolate! I think we have some Maya Gold left. I shall reward myself with a square after I have got some work done. What do you think of that? What a self-control I have here!

No comments: